[uClibc] Unscheduled Downtime

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jul 25 03:38:14 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 03:30, Carl Miller wrote:
> > > I woke up this afternoon (after working all night on a problem
> > > that turned up with uClibc on mips) and found one of my precious
> > > children (probably Jess) had unlocked my office looking for
> > > something, then one of my younger children then discovered the
> > > power switch on the server under my desk.  The server that powers
> > > uclibc.org, busybox.net, codepoet.org, etc....
> >
> > There's a "priceless" commercial in here somewhere, I just know it.
>
> Second install of Linux:                     $0.
> Second install of Apache:                    $0.
> Install of Balance for hot-standby failover: $0.
> Knowing the site stays up when your child
>    finds the power switch on one server:     Priceless.
>
> Some computer problems can't be solved by code.  For everything
>    else, there's open source.

Actually, I'm more impressed that so many large corporations (such as Linksys,
which is now Cisco) have product lines that depend on software distributed
from a computer in a residential basement in Utah.

There's something deeply satisfying about this.

Rob

--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)