[uClibc] [HELP] perl cross compiling

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Fri Jul 16 14:34:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:34:07AM +0200, Stephan Linz wrote:
> the last few days I've tried to cross compile the latest perl release version
> 5.8.4 with my self-made uClibc toolchain (target i586-linux-uclibc / gcc 3.3
> / uclibc 0.9.26). Hm, it seems to be a harder work than I've expected.

It is a pain, but it is doable and the procedure is pretty clear.

> Til now I've read some googled web pages and email threads. All together tell
> me I can't cross compile perl -- I have to use the target system to rebuild
> perl. Is it really true? Because the perl source tree includes a path named
> 'Cross' and the README in it says it could. Sadly this simple cross-framework
> needs a perl configuration file 'config.sh-i586-linux-uclibc' wich includes
> all the setup for my target. I don't know how I can create this file without
> a perl configuration run on my target. Even this is what I can not do
> (embedded system :-).
>
> Now, is there anybody who has experience enough with perl cross compilations
> (maybe for uclibc targets) and can show me a way to go on or give me a hint
> where I can find more informations about (howto, stept-by-step doc, ...) ...
> Any help is welcome.

Easiest way would be to use buildroot to use buildroot to create a
native uClibc devel environment for x86 and build perl within that.
As a byproduct, you will get what you need to set up a config.sh-*
file that you can use to cross compile in the future if you desire.

Manuel