[uClibc] toolchain & buildroot script understanding...

Bryan Larsen bryan.larsen at lumenera.com
Sun Jul 11 04:45:43 UTC 2004

I had success with the following configuration:

ARCH:=arm
GCC_2_95_TOOLCHAIN:=false
USE_UCLIBC_SNAPSHOT:=true
USE_BUSYBOX_SNAPSHOT:=true
WGET:=wget --passive-ftp
OPTIMIZE_FOR_CPU=$(ARCH)
SOFT_FLOAT:=false
TARGET_OPTIMIZATION=-Os
TARGET_DEBUGGING= #-g
GCC_USE_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS:=--enable-sjlj-exceptions
EXTRA_GCC_CONFIG_OPTIONS:=
ENABLE_LOCALE:=false
MULTILIB:=--enable-multilib
INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP:=true
INSTALL_LIBGCJ:=false

and selecting generic ARM when uClibc asks.

The success had the following differences from my failure:
SOFT_FLOAT:=false rather than true
USE_UCLIBC_SNAPSHOT:=true rather than false
generic RAM rather than ARM922T

I'll try combinations until I find out which is the culprit.
Preliminary indications are that SOFT_FLOAT is not the source of the
troubles.

>  I was,
> however, a bit startled when toolchain wanted to start installing things in
> /usr/lib and /usr/bin... still haven't let that happen just yet.

That's because ${TARGET_DIR} is undefined.  For me, my build failed when
it tried to put libfloat into ${TARGET_DIR}/usr/lib.  /usr/lib is
writable only by root so the build failed.

> > On Sat Jul 10, 2004 at 06:05:51PM -0400, Bryan Larsen wrote:
> > > The first error I got complained about an undefined "BUS_ISA", so I
> > > applied the attached patch to change this to CTL_BUS_ISA.
> >
> > Long since fixed in CVS...

Which is why I could fix the error easily.  :)

thanks,
Bryan