[uClibc] self hosting uclibc

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 8 13:00:41 UTC 2004

--- "Rogelio M.Serrano Jr." <rogelio at smsglobal.net> a écrit :
> After trying for to use LFS style builds for more than three months i was
> almost convinced it cannot be self hosting. I used all combinations of
> software packages. I really feel stupid not trying out buildroot three months
> ago.

LFS uses glibc as a pre-requisite. And a specific version, depending on
the book version. There's a official uclibc-patch repository somewhere,
but I'd say look at it, don't use it (no flame please). Root_fs
philosophy, from what I understood, is "keep it small".

LFS, even with uclibc, is nowhere close to "small", even with -Os...

> Now I have a stable buildroot-made system I can boot into and do further
> development on. I have LVM2 gnustep-base and all my other non graphical
> openstep toy apps. I am currently trying to build fbdev/dri on it.

The fbdev Xfree works on ipaq h2210 like a charm. The h2210 port
developpers are trying to get the pointer to work now. Kernel debug
takes time... :(

> Im sure i saw somewhere that perl builds on the buildroot system. So that
> means i can rebuild the whole toolchain without any need of glibc based host.

Yes, perl can be built. Be careful only on one thing: do you really need
the latest version of perl. If yes, some patching may be needed, as perl
and uclibc developments are not always in sync. Choose 5.005_03: it is
most of the time sufficient. If you must upgrade, try 5.6 rather than
the latest. My 2c opinion though. Opinions may differ :-o
And of course try to just do a "make miniperl" and move it to /usr/bin
in the root_fs. It'll be less bloated, but not fully functional (with
regards to advanced perl packages).

Rgds,
Christian