[uClibc] self hosting uclibc

Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. rogelio at smsglobal.net
Thu Jul 8 12:39:34 UTC 2004

On 2004-07-08 20:23:11 +0800 Christian MICHON <christian_michon at yahoo.fr> wrote:

>>> Is it semantics? For me buildroot is what we use to build the reference
>> system. I see it as a tool. But of course i understand what you mean.
>
> You're right, I'm wrong. I meant root_fs generated thru buildroot is
> the reference system, self-sufficient.
>

>> I have a reference system now.
>>
>> What I really want to test is if i can use the reference system to build
>> itself after installing a few missing packages of course. Has anyone done
>> that before? Or is a glibc based host system necessary?
>
> I'd say yes. You need to 'mount --bind' the src directories, as usually
> the amount of inodes allocated in the root_fs is small (<=100Mb).
> I already used for example the root_fs arm, which was cross-compiled
> on x86 I presume, and did uclibc/gcc/binutils/xfree compilations on my
> ipaq h2210.
>
> I guarantee glibc was never involved in it :). The initrd is uclibc based,
> the root_fs also, and my mount is over nfs on sources only. It's cool to
> see an ipaq h2210 doing compilation with root_fs. Slow (gcc>=3.x.x) but
> cool. :)

Hey that is really cool!

> hope this helped,
> Christian
> --

After trying for to use LFS style builds for more than three months i was almost convinced it cannot be self hosting. I used all combinations of software packages. I really feel stupid not trying out buildroot three months ago.

Now I have a stable buildroot-made system I can boot into and do further development on. I have LVM2 gnustep-base and all my other non graphical openstep toy apps. I am currently trying to build fbdev/dri on it.

Im sure i saw somewhere that perl builds on the buildroot system. So that means i can rebuild the whole toolchain without any need of glibc based host.