[uClibc] Need Perl in prebuilt root fs

Barry Kauler bkauler at goosee.com
Wed Jan 28 14:26:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:09:55 +1300
ichi at actrix.co.nz wrote:

> Barry Kauler wrote on Wed Jan 14
>
> > Yes, I discovered two Perl scripts, I think in fonts/util directory,
> > and I avoided building the fonts. I got XFree v4.3.0 Xvesa server
> > and apps and libraries to all compile, and have got it running.
>
> Dear Barry,
>
> I am having exactly the same problem compiling Xvesa on uClibc:
> no Perl.  I see you bypassed this problem by avoiding the fonts.
> I would be very grateful if you would tell me exactly how you
> did that.

Steven,
Ok, I'm hunting through my notes, to see what I did...
you have to go into the config files, and you need to leave
#define Build75Dpi YES
#define BuildType1 YES
or whatever fonts you want the X server to support.
However, there is another variable, and I haven't written down
its name, it is something like "BuildFonts" or "BuildAllFonts"
-- this must be NO.

Anyway, after compiling X, I did install perl, v5.8.0, by applying
the patch "perl-5.8.0-uclibc.diff.txt" -- I don't have the URL
right now. Someone from the mail list commented that my build
system must be broken if it needs the patch, but I don't think
so -- I've compiled about 150 packages successfully, and Perl
was the only one that had the problem with NOSTR and YESSTR
undefined. Besides, I'm using Eric's root f.s. (and uclibc
0.9.24).

Regards,
Barry Kauler