[uClibc] Having trouble building ARM version in Cygwin

John Lewis lewistotle at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 11:10:55 UTC 2004

I'm in the process of porting linux over to a device based around
Motorola's Dragonball MXL (arm920T core) processor and would like to
use uClibc due to size constraints in the device. However, I'm
running into some serious problems building it.

I am using Cygwin running on windoze as my host and build
environment. I have the linux kernel, bootloader and other
applications building just fine. In fact, if glibc were small enough,
I would likely keep using it.

I have tried both the buildroot and uClibc-0.9.26 downloads and have
yet to get either to build.

When using buildroot, I ran into problems with various lib*.a files
not linking correctly during the build cycle. I could get around some
of these by manually building the file and then editing the makefiles
to not try to rebuild them later on. This worked for a while, but I
eventually ran into libgcc.a which that technique would no longer
work for.

I then tried building uClibc-0.9.26. I didn't get too far into that
mainly due to problems with include files not having the correct
things defined such as __NR_exit, etc.

This is a fairly new project so I am do not yet have a great deal of
code built up depending on any particular environment. I'm sure I'm
not the only person out there who is trying to build code for arm
targets using cygwin. If you have gotten this working, please let me
know how you did it.

Thanks in advance.

John Lewis
V.P. of Engineering