[uClibc] Need Perl in prebuilt root fs

bk/sm void at dodo.com.au
Wed Jan 14 19:36:13 UTC 2004

> > I downloaded the prebuilt filesystem yesterday, and it's great,
> > very easy to compile stuff. I set it up on a drive partition and I
> > chroot into it.
> > So, I got ambitious and started to compile Xfree, but it stopped
> > and reported that it can't find Perl.
>
> Perl is needed only at the fonts stage. If you can import fonts
> from any other X11 installation, it'd do the trick. Otherwise you
> need to compile perl yourself inside buildroot.

Christian,
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I discovered two Perl scripts, I think in fonts/util directory,
and I avoided building the fonts. I got XFree v4.3.0 Xvesa server
and apps and libraries to all compile, and have got it running.

So, personally I don't want Perl in the prebuilt uclibc root filesystem
if it can be avoided -- currently it's very small, which is how I
like it.

The only other app that I have had trouble with is "mp" (minimum
profit), a small console text editor. It has pull-down menus, and
...well, they don't. I've compiled mp on other systems, no trouble.
The way it works is you type ctrl-a and the menu bar pops up and you
can use the arrow keys to navigate the pull-down menus.
The menu bar appears, but can't get the pull-down.
mp uses ncurses, and I've got the terminal database identical to
my other working systems.
I'm just about to contact the author of mp, but I strongly suspect
it's an issue with uclibc.
I have my own tiny Linux distro, called Puppy, and I have a script
that builds Puppy from the uclibc filesystem, and everything is
setup exactly as per previous builds of Puppy (done on Slack and
Redhat), so the only factor I can see different is the uclibc
library -- well, there is also the precompiled ncurses.
Anyway, I'll ask the mp author to download the uclibc root fs and
try for himself.

Regards,
Barry Kauler
bkauler at goosee.com