[uClibc] Problem with ttyname

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Jan 13 05:54:06 UTC 2004

On Mon Jan 12, 2004 at 05:10:46PM +0100, Patrick Aussems wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I upgraded my uClibc to 0.9.26 (I was successfully using
> 20031103cvs) I can't telnet to my devel card anymore.
>
> paussems at cuicui:~$ telnet 10.1.1.248
> Trying 10.1.1.248...
> Connected to 10.1.1.248.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Unable to determine your tty name.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> The 'Unable to determine your tty name' is printed by the 'login' app
> (from tinylogin-1.4) as a result of a 'ttyname' function that returns a
> NULL pointer. Any idea why? I'm using uClinux on an MMU-less ARM
> processor, with devfs enabled

Hmmm.  The uClibc ttyname() function was considerably reworked
for the 0.9.26 release.  It is possible we missed some sortof
corner case I guess.  The fundamental algorithm we use is the
same as the old one, just a bit more optimized.

What were you getting for ttyname before, with 20031103cvs?
If you revert uClibc/libc/termios/ttyname.c to the old version
does it work for you?  Did you choose the exact same setting
for the UNIX98PTY_ONLY and ASSUME_DEVPTS uClibc config options?