[uClibc] debian root_fs_i386.bz2 problems

darrin001 at sympatico.ca darrin001 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 12 17:38:53 UTC 2004

Hi everyone --

I'm having trouble using the root_fs image, and can't figure out what to do next to resolve the problem.

A similar question was asked back in May 2002, but neither of the two replies seem to help:
http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2003-May/006150.html

Essentially, when I chroot into the unpacked root_fs image, no commands work, even basic things like ls.  I get back a:
Error ?ls ? function not supported?

It also doesn't seem to be able to load the shell (/bin/sh or /bin/bash)

I've also tried copying the directory structure from the mounted image to an actual drive, and chrooting into that, with the same effect.  If I don't chroot into the directory, and instead cd to the bin directory normally (ie: cd /mnt/hdc3/root_fs/bin) and try to execute something like "./ls" or "./busybox", I get a command not found error.  Of course "ls -l busybox" shows that busybox *is* there, and is set executable, etc..

I'm at my wits end here ... I've tried everything I can think of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren S.