[uClibc] GPL compliance

Karl Bongers karl at turbobit.com
Thu Jan 1 17:30:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 04:27:48PM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> Your statement is _wildly_ incorrect.  It is not "popular".  It
> is a statement of fact that some people choose to ignore the law

Good enough, sorry if my statement was a bit inflamatory.
If the GPL says that you have to provide source for GPL binaries
then that's what needs to be done.

<snip>

> > components, then I need to provide/offer source code for these
> > components.  Even if the source code is not modified.
>
> Yup.  The fine print is not exactly hidden....
>
> 	http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
> 	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

True, but I don't think the license is plain as the nose
on your face.  It's not easy to interpret these things,
at least not for me :)

> Full source for the dev systems is available here:
>     http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/buildroot-sources/
>
> > You now have to collect all these sources, make sure they
> > match the binaries, and have them available for delivery.
>
> Yup.  And I do precisely that, despite your assertions to
> the contrary.  :-)

Woops, sorry about my wild acusations, I should have looked
harder for your source.  Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Hmmm, your buildroot collection might make a convienent
source for my embedded work.  Could be better than my plan to
use Debian as a source.

Karl.