[uClibc] buildroot - gcc3_3_target linked incorrectly

Jeff Simpson willigates at cox.net
Sat Feb 14 15:39:35 UTC 2004

My CVS tree is in sync with the buildroot head revisions.  I've configured
buildroot makefile for ARCH=i386 and OPTIMIZE_FOR_CPU=$(ARCH).  My host is an
x86 box running Gentoo.  Everything seems to build fine and I can use the
resulting root_fs (busybox/uclibc snapshot=false) to kick off UMlinux
successfully (and run on the STB).

However, I'd like a c/c++ compiler to build Python for the target.  I've
included gcc3_3_target in the targets list of the buildroot Makefile.
Everything builds but it appears that the gcc related packages are linked to
my host libc instead of uclibc of the target system (I know this because the
host ldd runs showing the system libc.so instead of "No such file or
directory" a I would expect on a uClibc linked binary).

bad:
-----
$ ldd build_i386/root/usr/bin/gcc
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4002e000)

good:
------
$ ldd build_i386/root/bin/busybox
/usr/bin/ldd: line 1: build_i386/root/bin/busybox: No such file or directory

Also from UMlinux the gcc exe gives an error saying the file does not exist,
even though it's listed in the /usr/bin directory).  All my other builds work
fine (busybox, ssh, bash, etc..).  Gcc is the only program I've had this
issue with.

Any clues offhand for something I might have missed?  Is this a known issue?
If you need more info I can scrape together the various flags or attach my
Makefile.

BTW, this worked before, because I used the UMlinux/gcc on an older buildroot
(before the new year) image to build Python (which is currently running on my
STB).  So, something seems to have changed.

Thanks
-Jeff