[uClibc] trouble building toolchain

Philippe De Swert philippe.deswert at student.denayer.wenk.be
Wed Feb 11 15:09:20 UTC 2004

Hello all,

For the moment I am trying to build an arm uclibc toolchain. When trying to
build it with the toolchain script it fails giving an error about gcc being not
able to build executables.

As I wanted to try it out and find out how exactely it was being build to add it
to my existing toolchain script that does glibc toolchain building flawlessly. I
started by hand. I got myself a bootstrap gcc that should compile fine.

To sum up what I did:

-setup de kernel headers (kernel 2.4.24)
-built binutils 2.14
-built bootstrap gcc
-try to build uClibc 0.9.26 and 0.9.25 but both fail with this error:

arm-uclibc-linux-gcc  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs
-fno-strict-aliasing  -fstrict-aliasing -Os    -mlittle-endian -fno-builtin
-nostdinc -D_LIBC -I../../../../include -I.
-I/usr/lib/gcc-lib/arm-uclibc-linux/3.3.2/include -DNDEBUG -fPIC -c ioperm.c -o
ioperm.o
ioperm.c: In function `init_iosys':
ioperm.c:103: error: `BUS_ISA' undeclared (first use in this function)
ioperm.c:103: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ioperm.c:103: error: for each function it appears in.)
ioperm.c:103: error: initializer element is not constant
ioperm.c:103: error: (near initialization for `iobase_name[1]')
ioperm.c:104: error: initializer element is not constant
ioperm.c:104: error: (near initialization for `ioshift_name[1]')
make[4]: *** [ioperm.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/temp/toolchain-uclibc/uClibc-0.9.25/libc/sysdeps/linux/arm'
make[3]: *** [arm] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/temp/toolchain-uclibc/uClibc-0.9.25/libc/sysdeps/linux'
make[2]: *** [_dir_linux] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/temp/toolchain-uclibc/uClibc-0.9.25/libc/sysdeps'
make[1]: *** [_dir_sysdeps] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/temp/toolchain-uclibc/uClibc-0.9.25/libc'
make: *** [_dir_libc] Error 2

I get the same when I try to compile it with a tested glibc arm cross-compiler.

Can somebody help?

Also some other questions (I m not goed with those (Kconfig?) scripts)

- I cannot find a workaround for the --without-headers option that does not work
anymore except for some comments in the gcc-uclibc-....mk file.
- In this case do I have to build uclibc in the usual way (make menuconfig, make
CROSS=arm-uclibc-linux-gcc) ?
- If I want to build it again with softfloats when do I have to compile thet
extra softfloat library (I presume after I compiled uclibc and before the final gcc)
- Am I right if it seems that in the toolchain building script gcc is built 3 times?

Thanks,

Philippe