[uClibc] Buildroot & inittar patch

Thomas Lundquist lists at zelow.no
Wed Dec 15 08:39:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:09:46PM -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> Simplicity, for one. All you do is feed a .tar.gz to the kernel, and it will
> create a tmpfs filesystem for the initial filesystem. For me, this means I
> can have a read-write filesystem that is limited in size only by memory
> constraints or those I manually implement.

which sounds like a really good thing.

but can this be combined with replacing gzip with bzip2? which will
shave off a bit more on the storage media.

(I have seen a few bzip patches for the kernel but none has seemed
stable and good enough to me but it's been a while)

> > . gzipped ext2fs

> Overhead is one issue, yes. For instance, if you create a root image with an
> ext2 filesystem and an exact duplicate based on the minix filesystem you
> will notice that the minix image is smaller. It's structures are smaller,
> and it has fewer features than ext2.

but for an initrd, it's good enough, which is why I use it.

> In the end, however, the answer is the same as any other in Linux Land. It
> all comes down to personal preference. Many of us are creatures of habit,
> and many of us are bit-squeezers. I like to make things as simple and small
> as possible, and therefore I have chosen to use tmpfs as my root filesystem.
> YMMV, as always.

tmpfs is a very good root filesystem and not having to boot an initrd
filesystem and then convert to tmpfs is a very good thing.

Thomas.