[uClibc] native gcc build not ok?

Pedro Venda pjlv at mega.ist.utl.pt
Tue Dec 14 00:44:48 UTC 2004

hi everyone,

first post :-)

I've been using the buildroot package to produce a working linux distribution in
an academic project for i386 arch after finding out I couldn't just link
binaries against uClibc, buildroot became the solution for me.

yet I have a problem that I'd like to expose to find out whether it's my problem
or a package problem...

As far as I understood, the buildroot package is able to generate a full
development environment for the target platform. instead of just creating the
toolchains, it also makes some very useful binaries to be used in such harsh
environments.

What I wanted to create was a loop'd filesystem with the necessary devel tools
and, of course, uClibc with attached toolchain. So I did with the buildroot...
told it to compile lots of packages (those I thought I'd need) but most
importantly gcc and binutils. After the loopback mount...

[root at archon /]# ls -l /lib/libc.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Dec 13 17:08 /lib/libc.so.0 ->
libuClibc-0.9.26.so
[root at archon /]#

ok, libc.so.0 points to the right location.

[root at archon /]# ldd /usr/bin/ldd
         libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0x40008000)
         ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x40000000)
[root at archon /]#

the ldd binary is well linked and works.

-> Trouble starts here!

[root at archon /]# gcc
/usr/bin/gcc: No such file or directory
[root at archon /]#

what?? no gcc?? but I explicitly enabled native gcc build!!

[root at archon /]# ldd /usr/bin/i386-linux-uclibc-gcc
/lib/libc.so.6: No such file or directory
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00000000)
[root at archon /]#

what? libc.so.6? ld-linux.so.2? something's very wrong here!! or is it not?

I guess the native gcc for the target arch was not compiled/linked correctly...

care to comment please? what am I doing/assuming wrong?

btw, Congratulations on the excelent piece of software. uClibc and the buildroot
package just gave me weeks of research, compiles and testing for free!

regards,
pedro venda.

--

Pedro João Lopes Venda