[uClibc] buildroot compile Segfaults

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at enix.org
Fri Dec 3 21:54:50 UTC 2004

Hello,

Ray Charles wrote:

> How do I ??replace?? the hosts toolchain with the
> toolchain that i downloaded from the uClibc CVS and
> compiled ?

genext2fs is a tool that allows to create a filesystem image, given a
file system hierarchy. So this tool is executed on your host. So it has
to be compiled with your host toolchain, which is provided by your
distribution, not by buildroot.

Make sure you understand the difference between :
  - the host, which is the machine on which you're working, on which
you're compiling, etc... Usually, you install a regular GNU/Linux
distribution (or whatever BSD you want to use). In this distribution,
you have the regular development toolchain : gcc, binutils, glibc, etc.
These tools are compiled to *run* on your host, and to *generate* code
for your host. This is what you need to compile tools like genext2fs, or
any application that you want to run on your system.
  - the target, which is the machin on which you want to run the
programs located in the filesystem built by buildroot. To compile the
programs that go into this filesystem, you need a cross-compilation
toolchain. It's a set of development tools (gcc, binutils, uclibc) that
*run* on your host, but that *generate* code for your target.

Don't hesitate to ask if it's no clear. My poor english level is
sometimes hard to understand.

Thomas
PETAZZONI Thomas - thomas.petazzoni at enix.org
http://thomas.enix.org - Jabber: thomas.petazzoni at jabber.dk
KOS: http://kos.enix.org/ - Lolut: http://lolut.utbm.info
Fingerprint : 0BE1 4CF3 CEA4 AC9D CC6E  1624 F653 CB30 98D3 F7A7