[uClibc] Integrating a custom toolchain with buildroot

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Aug 25 17:05:57 UTC 2004

Hello Robin,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 02:23:00PM +0530, Robin Singh wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 01:35 -0600, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> > Ok.  You'll need to modify binutils as well to make it uClibc-aware
> > for your target.  I'm assuming you also have the necessary arch-specific
> > bits for uClibc as well.
>
> I have binutils ready too alongwith the arch specific bits
> (libc/sysdeps/linux/arch).

Take a look at the uclibc conf patches for both binutils and gcc.
Pick a particular arch (say arm or mips) and see how those are
handled.  Much of the work is simply teaching the configure systems
about <arch>-linux-uclibc tuples.  Anyway, make analogous mods
for your case.  There are also some generic parts of the patches
that you will need.

> > Are we talking linux here?  uClinux?  other?  MMU/NOMMU/both?
> > hard/soft float?  You'll need to provide a bit more info.
>
> Hmm. The toolchain supports both MMU and NOMMU. It is also utilised for
> building both linux and uclinux and it uses soft float.

Well, I can't really help for the NOMMU uClinux case.  They build
their own toolchains and I've never had occassion to look at how
they integrate the flat format stuff.  In fact, there are places
in buildroot that assume shared lib support is available.

> > It builds an actual toolchain.  We did away with the wrappers some time
> > ago.
>
> I realised that when I used buildroot for the arm as a test. But I saw
> that there was an arm-gcc and an arm-uclibc-gcc that was generated and
> so I assumed that it was still a wrapper. Neat though.

I haven't built 2.95 in a long time.  But what it should be doing
is building and <arch>-linux-uclibc-gcc and providing an additional
symlink <arch>-linux-gcc as a convenience.  Many packages currently
break if you try to configure with --target=<arch>-linux-uclibc.
We get around that by using the <arch>-linux-<tool> symlinks.

Manuel