[uClibc] libgloss and related

Sterling Augustine sterling at tensilica.com
Fri Aug 20 18:42:41 UTC 2004

Hello,

First, great project. It is exactly what I'm looking for.

Second, even though the libc/sysdeps/README file says I must be smoking
crack, I have managed to get uclibc compiling and working for simple
programs on a non-linux (and in fact, a non-unix) system: libgloss.
Libgloss is the newlib (another embedded C library) system call layer.
Of course, much functionality won't be supported in this environment,
but the basic C library should be just fine.

I have tried to make the changes as uninvasive as possible. In
particular, the only changes to shared files are in extra/Configs/...
and various Makefiles. Of course I added our port related files and a
libgloss directory and files under sysdeps.

I realize that this may be a direction that the project is uninterested
in, and I respect that. But is the project interested in patches related
to libgloss? If so, what would the submission guidelines be? It will be
a while before I have the code in a state worth contributing, but I'd
like a little guidance before I proceed further.

Again, great project.

Sterling Augustine
Member of Technical Staff
Tensilica, Inc.