[uClibc] Dumb Question / Toolchain Install

Brian Fliege BrianF at apcon.com
Fri Aug 20 16:58:47 UTC 2004

    This may be a dumb/obvious question, but I was not able to find the
answer on the FAQ or the mailing list archives.  Having used other
toolchains in the past, both building manually and using binary
installs, they have had an "install" target of some sort that copies the
appropriate files into the appropriate places in the filesystem.  I have
successfully built the uClibc toolchain (Host: i386, Target: arm) based
on the published build script, but am a little uncertain as to how to
best install and use it.  Should I copy the toolchain_arm folder to
/usr/local and add /usr/local/toolchain_arm/bin to the PATH (then, what
of the libs? Add the lib folder to /etc/ld.so.conf?)  Should I overlay
the whole content of toolchain_arm on the root, /usr, or /usr/local
folder?  If so, is there a danger of overwriting something or having
something be overwritten by a future install or upgrade of the OS or
3rd-party app?

    I guess I am just asking whether or not there is a recommended
method of installing this stuff.  How does everyone else do it?

 -Brian