[uClibc] Linux 2.2 kernel doesn't work

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Fri Aug 6 04:26:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 12:12:42AM -0400, 3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> Thanks to Ken and Erik for the input.
> > Yup, exactly so.  If people want binaries for 2.2.x, they will
> > need to compile stuff up themselves,
>
> That's what I did with pico.  I installed the 2.2.16 kernel headers
> on your prebuilt development system and compiled from the pico source
> (using a 2.4 kernel).  I ended up with a pico binary that worked fine
> with a 2.4 kernel and failed with a 2.2 kernel (it came up empty when
> given a file to edit).
>
> I assume from your comments that my pico compile must have used 2.4
> includes (somehow).  Perhaps I should have deleted the 2.4 headers
> before installing the 2.2 ones?

A bit more complicated than that, as uClibc itself was built with the
2.4 headers.  You need to rebuild uClibc and the whole devel system.

> This sort of problem is new to me.  In the past I have always compiled
> using the same kernel/libraries as the target kernel/libraries.  I
> would certainly prefer to boot the development system with the target
> 2.2 kernel, but it doesn't work.
>
> I would be grateful for any advice on how to get the uClibc developement
> system to produce binaries that work with a 2.2 kernel.

Grab the source to buildroot.  Modify it to use the 2.2 kernel headers.
Type make.  Sort out any problems from using the 2.2 headers.  We may
have broken something for that case, as I haven't done a test build for
2.2 in at least 9 months.

Manuel