[uClibc] Linux 2.2 kernel doesn't work

3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org 3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Aug 6 04:19:23 UTC 2004

> Perhaps I should have deleted the 2.4 headers before installing
> the 2.2 ones?

OK, I've now deleted the 2.4 includes from:
------------------
/usr/include/asm
/usr/include/linux
/usr/include/net
/usr/include/scsi
------------------
and replaced them with the appropriate includes from 2.2.16.
Then I recompiled nano (make clean; configure).  No problem
compiling.  No problem running the new binary with 2.4 kernel.
But the same problem ocurs when running the new binary with
2.2 kernel.  It comes up empty ("New file") when given a file
to edit.  It simply does not see the file.

This behavior is not isolated to nano.  I get exactly the same
thing when I run your preconfigured development system with a
2.2 kernel.  ls, rm, ln, strip, stat all fail to see the file
given to them as a parameter.

I'm a uClibc newbie, and I have no experience cross-compiling
so I am finding this all very strange.  In the past I've been
able to mix-n-match kernels with relatively few problems (and
those that did occur, like devfs, were soon sorted).

I am beginning to wonder if there is something in the uClibc
libraries (in your preconfigured development system) that is
causing the problem.  Do I have to go back to Square 1 and
recompile the libraries themselves for a 2.2 kernel?

This is turning out to be a lot more trouble than I had expected.

Cheers,
Steven