[uClibc] Linux 2.2 kernel doesn't work

3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org 3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Aug 6 04:12:42 UTC 2004

Thanks to Ken and Erik for the input.

> >  Probably because the binaries are compiled against 2.4 kernel headers
> > (whether directly or indirectly) and use functionality that isn't
> > available in 2.2 kernels.
>
> Yup, exactly so.  If people want binaries for 2.2.x, they will
> need to compile stuff up themselves,

That's what I did with pico.  I installed the 2.2.16 kernel headers
on your prebuilt development system and compiled from the pico source
(using a 2.4 kernel).  I ended up with a pico binary that worked fine
with a 2.4 kernel and failed with a 2.2 kernel (it came up empty when
given a file to edit).

I assume from your comments that my pico compile must have used 2.4
includes (somehow).  Perhaps I should have deleted the 2.4 headers
before installing the 2.2 ones?

This sort of problem is new to me.  In the past I have always compiled
using the same kernel/libraries as the target kernel/libraries.  I
would certainly prefer to boot the development system with the target
2.2 kernel, but it doesn't work.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to get the uClibc developement
system to produce binaries that work with a 2.2 kernel.

Cheers,
Steven