[uClibc] Linux 2.2 kernel doesn't work

3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org 3aoo-cvfd at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Aug 5 01:58:07 UTC 2004

 have downloaded the latest prebuilt development system for i386
and have successfully installed it to a HD partition (ext2fs).  It
boots fine and compiles with a 2.4 kernel.  However, when I use a
2.2 kernel, many of the binaries malfunction.  In particular, stat
and strip fail to find their targets (which trips up make).

To make matters worse, binaries compiled with a 2.4 kernel do not
work correctly on my 2.2 system.  For example, nano (an editor)
compiles smoothly with a 2.4 kernel and runs fine with that kernel.
Then, when I move it to my 2.2 system, it seems to work OK, but it
always comes up empty (it never finds the file it is given to edit).
This problem disappears when I boot that system with a 2.4 kernel.

I have tried different 2.2 kernels (eg from Slackware 7.1 and 8.0)
and the same problem occurs with all of them.  Something about the
2.2 kernel makes the binaries unable to locate files on the filesystem.

I would be grateful if any of you guys could shed some light on this.
I am currently running a very slim Linux on 486s using a minimalistic
2.2 kernel and libc5.  I am keen to upgrade the libraries to uClibc,
but for various reasons I do not want to change the kernel.

What is it about the prebuilt development system that makes some
binaries (ls, mv, ln, stat, strip, etc.) malfunction on a 2.2 kernel?

Cheers,
Steven