[uClibc] building uClibc -- few questions

Rudolf Ladyzhenskii Rudolf.ladyzhenskii at opennw.com
Mon Aug 2 01:51:16 UTC 2004

Hi, all

This is sort of linked to my previos question on how to build uClibc with 3.4.1 compiler.

I have tried to build the latest uClibc with its own toolchain. uClibc uses linux kernel 2.4.25 header files. I really want to use 2.6.x kernel.
So, I can not really make toolchain as is anyway and have to do it manually. Beside, it is a good learning exercise. I am aware that this particular combination is not tested and may not be working, but I am happy to accept the risk.

I have built gcc 3.4.1 and I have managed to build uClibc with it, using kernel headers from 2.6.7 kernel.
When I try to install the uClibc, libraries do install correctly, but how do I link agains them? I am using Karim's book "Building Embedded Linux Systems" as my bible and it suggests that uClibc installs its own gcc wrapper i386-uclibc-gcc (I am building for x86 system). In my case, it is not installed.  Can someone tell me how to link properly?

Thanks,

/*******************************************************/
Rudolf Ladyzhenskii
Senior Design Engineer