[uClibc] buildroot to bootdisk

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Apr 3 14:16:44 UTC 2004

On Friday 02 April 2004 21:49, erythros wrote:
> so i ran the buildroot and it worked. i can chroot into it, i even dropped
> it onto a second harddrive and added dual boot to lilo. all is well.
>

> except that is i tried to use the root fs i386 as the file system for boot
> disk. linux is new to me. so needless to say it took me three days to get
> lilo to boot, then two days to get my kernel to load. had probs with boot.b
> and using the lilo from slackware 9.1. i installed lilo 22.5.8 and still no
> boot.b, but lilo worked... had to read about rdev fer the kernel three
> times before i thought i knew what i was doing.
>
> so lilo boots, the kernel loads fine. but when the root fs i386.gz loads i
> get data crc errors... it doesnt matter if i put it on the same diskette or
> a second one. so how do i fix this?

Possibly by reading this:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/

Or perhaps this:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html

There's also a very nice downloadable book on http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
that goes into _excruciating_ detail about all the bits in a working system
and how to build them.  It's quite nice.

Rob