[uClibc] 386 floating point

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Sep 30 19:31:56 UTC 2003

On Tue Sep 30, 2003 at 07:47:32PM +0100, david stevenson wrote:
> Eric

s/Eric/Erik/
:-)

> Do you know how to do this?
> I am now using Thomas's suggestion of using kernel support, but I had tried to
> build gcc with soft-float without finding the magic. 2.95.3 has a file
> softfloat.c but I could not find the right way to include it.

I believe the missing soft-float routines are defined in
<gcc-dir>/gcc/config/fp-bit.[ch]

I'm guessing that soft-float on x86 probably requires that you
modify <gcc-dir>/gcc/config/i386/t-i386elf so that it does the
soft-float stuff, similar to what is done in t-rtems-i386.

i.e. Making soft-float work on x86 appears to not be supported
by gcc w/o doing some hacking on the compiler to set that up.

Clearly the path of least resistance is to use the kernel FPU
emulator,