[uClibc] improved memcpy/memset on arm in uClibc-0.9.19

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Sep 16 22:45:58 UTC 2003

On Tue Sep 16, 2003 at 10:23:20AM -0600, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> Probably easist to simply have seperate subdirs for each arch that
> supplies optimimized versions of given functions.  Then, after all
> the generics were built, the optimized versions could be built and
> stored in the libary thereby overriding the generic versions.
>
> But I'll talk to Erik about.

I'd like to see the same basic approach taken that is already
used in uClibc's libm.  The stuff in uClibc/libm/powerpc/
overrides the more generic uClibc/libm/ stuff.  This has the
advantage of keeping arch optimized code very close to the
generic versions.

One thing mjn3 and I were testing prior to the release was the
gcc builtins such as __builtin_memcpy and __builtin_memset.  You
may want to give this a try and see how, i.e.  __builtin_memcpy
compares with the default compares with your asm version.