[uClibc] Newbie: a "static" version of buildroot ?

lanas lanas at t-online.de
Thu Sep 4 17:40:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:03:57 -0600
Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org> wrote:

> On Thu Sep 04, 2003 at 05:54:56AM +0200, lanas wrote:

>>   Is there a bundled version of builroot that includes all packages
>>   in one tar file ?  That is, instead of downloading them one after
>>   the other with the makefile.

> Not yet...

I was asking because on my main machine I cannot get this kind of
internet connection going.

On the other hand, on a machine with a (Beyond) Linux from Scratch 4.0
system that I've installed I can get this part going but when building
binutils. specifically in the directory :

../buildroot/toolchain_build_i386/binutils-build/bfd/doc

The compiler is called 'c' which of course is not a found executable, as
in:

c -I..
-I/home/frodo/buildroot/toolchain_build_i386/binutils-2.14.90.0.5/
bfd/doc/..
-I/home/frodo/buildroot/toolchain_build_i386/binutils-2.14.90.0.5/
bfd/doc/../../include -I/home/frodo/buildroot/toolchain_build_i386/
binutils-2.14.90.0.5/bfd/doc/../../intl -I../../intl  -g -O2 /home/
frodo/buildroot/toolchain_build_i386/binutils-2.14.90.0.5/bfd/doc/chew.c

And then same with the myterious 'o' command that is issued :

o chew chew.o -g -O2
make[3]: o : Commande introuvable

Of course, 'chew' was not either found ;-)

All this to say that I would like to see if it's worthy to use uClibc,
and, how.

Having only 32 Mb of flash for both a mini Linux system and the program
files is not an awful lot of space but I think it could possible.  I
will compare building with libc6 using also the gcc -Os flag.

I have tried using a uClib root filesystem with UML.  While it works all
right (I use devfs=nomount) I run into a "no space left on device" quite
soon while building program files.  This is why I took a look at making
a root fs with buildroot, to allocate much more inodes.

And then I can install uClibc on a regular machine and use it to compile
the program files.  Then I could hopefully build a mini runtime Linux to
make it run.

So you see, I'm at the point of deciding which road to take and uClibc
is very new to me, as well as building components for another target
system ;-)

Cheers,

Alain