[uClibc] Re: uclibc perl - use miniperl

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Thu Oct 30 02:39:49 UTC 2003

"John Belshaw" <jbelshaw at tiscali.nl> writes:
> The solution for most people, if you just want to write simple perl scripts,
> is to use miniperl which is circa 800K in size using the shared uclibc
> libraries and can be built within the uclibc development environment using
> the latest perl source, and

Of course, 800K is still pretty big; if possible it's better to just
rewrite in awk (mawk is about 80K using shared libraries, and 115K
_statically_ linked; presumably BB awk is even smaller) or sed (not
sure, it's part of BB, but I think on order of 30-40K).

Remember, the scripts being discussed earlier were _not_ giant programs
for which perl might be justified, just little things.

-miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde