[uClibc] RE: Why use perl instead of sed to hack binutils, gcc

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Oct 5 09:22:16 UTC 2003

On Saturday 04 October 2003 15:39, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Saturday 04 October 2003 16:34, Daniel wrote:
> > > I use perl since perl allows me to edit files in place.
> > > Sed edits copies, which must them be moved into place on
> > > top of the original file, which is a bit more dangerous,
> >
> > there is always sed -i but either way it get the job done. I just wish I
> > knew perl more.
>
> the code was probably written before sed-4.x (which is when -i was
> introduced) -mike

And it's not in busybox sed.

(I'm wondering how one would go about adding it to busybox sed.  Presumably,
it's making a copy and renaming it anyway.  Otherwise any sed command that
makes a line larger would have to move everything after that before it could
proceed, which is a pain.  Maybe it loads the whole thing into ram and writes
it back out?)

Rob