[uClibc] uClibc 0.9.23 - build tool question

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Fri Nov 21 19:51:35 UTC 2003

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 05:54:59PM +0000, Steve Dover wrote:
> OK, as a soon-to-be FAQ, will I be able to
> build a gcc-2.95 toolchain anymore?  I really

Sure, if you want.  It don't think it currently works out of the box,
but updating it shouldn't be a problem.  Depending on what you need
(a native compiler for the target, libstdc++ support, etc.) it could
take a little time to get it working though.  Patches welcome.

> need gcc-2.95 as gcc-3.x.x generates fat code.
> It appears that the gcc-2.95 toolchain hasn't
> been touched in a couple of months.  I'll try

A reflection of how much we've used it lately.  Erik has mentioned
wanting to get it working again, but I don't know where it is on his
priority list.  Much of the gcc 3.3.2 work I've done recently was
contracted, and gcc 2.95 support has therefore lagged even further
behind.

> it anyway, but I guess the real question is
> what are the future plans for gcc-2.95 ?

There aren't any plans to drop support.  It is just that there hasn't
been sufficient time/interest/incentive to maintain it recently.

Manuel