[uClibc] uClibc 0.9.23 released

Jeffrey Baitis baitisj at evolution.com
Wed Nov 19 17:27:27 UTC 2003

I accidentally clicked 'send' before I was done. Sorry to confuse. Let
me start again:

> Does anybody actually try to test buildroot before release, or
> at least run through a couple of important options?  I'm very
> interested
> in helping make buildroot more stable. Who should I talk to about
> this?

Here's what I would suggest that might make buildroot a bit more stable,
or at least allow the "end-user" to have better control over stability:

      * Instead of using "cvs snapshots," why not simply check out
        uClibc from CVS? What I'd really like to be able to do is have
        my own local uClibc tree that I periodically import from uClibc
        CVS and apply my own patches / enhancements locally. So, the
        user should have the option of what CVS repository to use, what
        'tag,' 'branch,' (-r) or date (-D).
      *  Maybe it would be better to develop enhancements for specific
        platforms on different CVS branches. I find that HEAD is often
        broken for my platform, but works on x86, etc. I think a much
        better way of handling this would be to perform active
        development on (at the very least), say, a UCLIBC_UNSTABLE
        branch, and then periodically merge changes back to the head
        branch. Maybe another idea would be to develop bugfixes or
        optimizations on different branches, such as
        UCLIBC_UNSTABLE_MIPS or something. When I check out HEAD I
        really don't want broken code, so active development IMHO should
        *not* be done on HEAD.
      * The 'toolchain' project should be laid to rest, and people
        should use the tools built with 'buildroot.' This will reduce
        confusion. Additionally, it might be useful to adapt the
        buildroot tool so that it can handle multiple versions of
        GCC/binutils, but I'm not sure if that's very important (I read
        several places that it's really important to have the right
        version of binutils/gcc, all at once, for certain platforms)
      * Eric and Manuel should work full-time on uClibc and we should
        send them lots of money :D

Sorry about that truncated email.

-Jeff