[uClibc] Re: uclibc perl - use miniperl

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Nov 5 07:03:50 UTC 2003

On Wed Nov 05, 2003 at 03:55:07PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Christian MICHON <christian_michon at yahoo.fr> writes:
> > > An then you can further shrink it to 46k with UPX.
> > > Does UPX have any disadvantages? I wonder why it is not more popular.
> >
> > Big disadvantage: to get good performance, NRV is needed. And apparently
> > it's not opensource :(
>
> What are UPX and NRV?

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

    UPX is a free, portable, extendable, high-performance
    executable packer for several different executable formats.
    It achieves an excellent compression ratio and offers very
    fast decompression. Your executables suffer no memory
    overhead or other drawbacks because of in-place
    decompression.

    UPX is copyrighted software distributed under the terms of
    the GNU General Public License, with special exceptions
    granting the free usage for commercial programs as stated in
    the UPX License Agreement.

    UPX uses the NRV compression library for compression
    services. A compatible but somewhat less efficient OpenSource
    implementation is available through the UCL compression
    library.