[uClibc]building mtd utils using uclibc

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Mon May 26 20:53:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:16:13PM -0400, Randy Cooper wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to build the mtd utils from the 2003/05/12 snapshot using uclibc 09.16 for an ARM based system. I have read that the utlities can be built like this but no information was given regarding the versions used. I am having a problem where is I get an undefined reference to IFTODT from ld when building the mtd utils (I can build them using glibc).

As I recall, in 0.9.16 struct dirent didn't contain the d_type field
unless you were using large file support.  The IFTODT macro in dirent.h
was hidden under certain circumstances to avoid configure problems with
some packages.

> Would going to the latest version of uclibc fix this?

I believe so.  But there may be an easier way.

> If so, then do I have to rebuild everything already built using 09.16?

Yes, as a number of the internal structs have changed since then.

> Is there something I can specify on the make command line to resolve the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Randy

As long as the mtd code isn't trying to use IFTODT on a (nonexistent)
d_type field in a dirent struct, you could just unhide the define in
dirent.h, or just define it where needed.

Manuel