[uClibc]How to handle gettext, libintl?

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Fri May 23 16:18:32 UTC 2003

Hello!
I am working on an uClibc based, rpm packaged "mini distro". What will be
the future of the locale support in uClibc? I can't decide what to do
with gettext and libintl (some package builds require it). glibc defines
functions needed, libintl.h is in development package.
the existing libintl.h from uClibc is not enough. Some configure scripts
detect it falsely (do not check functions, only the presence of files)

Variant 1.
Add libintl.{h,a} and related from gettext and build packages against
these.

Variant 2.
Use --with-included-gettext on each problematic package (if present) or
disable nls completely. Later it will require changes to the build
process, after uClibc will completely have locale support.

My purpose:
Write the build process so, that it will work later too (without any
changes) for example do not use disable-nls anywhere if possible.

Questions:
1. Will the functions (now in libintl.a/libc.so.6) go into uClibc's main
lib or be a separate library (gettext)?
2. Will the files libintl.h and related be modified like those from glibc?

Peter

--
Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m at gmx.net>   ID: 0xA5F059F2    NIC: IXUYHSKQLI