[uClibc]Gentoo with uClibc as root libc

Rob McMullen robm at flipturn.org
Wed May 21 03:02:08 UTC 2003

Here's my progress at using uClibc as the root libc in a Gentoo Linux
install.

http://www.flipturn.org/uclibc

Lots of stuff works without any problems; more stuff would have worked
had the Gentoo ebuild writers not assumed some stuff (like NLS
support, PAM, NIS) without obeying the use variables.

It's been quite a test of uClibc so far, and I've been impressed with
the numbers of packages that have worked without any mods.

Something that I need to look into is ld.so seems to be ignoring extra
directories in /etc/ld.so.conf.  With that, QT, KDE, mozilla and
others fail because of that.  Gnome seems to be extremely dependent on
the locale stuff, and my current trials have been without locale
support.

Rob