[uClibc]some questions

Siim Vahtre siim at pld.ttu.ee
Tue May 6 10:19:24 UTC 2003

Hi!

I have few questions.

I am creating a Linux system (from scratch) to one old 486sx laptop.
It has 33 Mhz and 8MB memory. It doesn't have much diskspace but this
is not my primary concern. Basicly I only care about speed of the
system and memory requirement. The programs I run there (among others)
are busybox, screen, ssh and irc. (Maybe adom/angband/nethack aswell ;) )

So here's the questions:

1) Does uClibc binaries use (significantly) less memory? (I guess they do,
because they are lot smaller (?) )

2) Is there significant difference in speed comparing uClibc and regular
glibc binaries? (I understand that complicated binaries (like mplayer) are
a lot faster with glibc, but what about "simple" apps?)

3) Does optimization work with uClibc and do I really get faster
binaries if I compile whole system with "-march=i486 -fomit-frame-pointer
-Os -pipe" (for example) instead using generic i386 binaries?

Is uClibc right choice for me or glibc is better for this?

(I have no problem cross-compiling or doing a lot of job if I get at
least four or five percent of speed-boost or less memory requirement)

Thank you in advance.

--
Siim Vahtre.