[uClibc]busybox segfaults (but is it busybox?)

Klaas van Gend klaas.vangend at reduct.net
Thu Mar 27 07:38:50 UTC 2003

Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Mon Mar 24, 2003 at 03:45:59PM +0100, Klaas van Gend wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I'm using kernel 2.4.20, Busybox 0.60.5 and uClibc 0.9.19.
>>These are all compiled using the latest root_fs building system.
>>The target stuff is run on an AMD elan-520 processor with 32 MB RAM.
>>
>>All goes well during startup, but if an insmod fails, it segfaults.
>>As a matter of fact, *every* failure (thus not just insmod) crashes the
>>shell and its parents...
>

> I suspect this has nothing to do with the shell, or busybox, or
> uClibc, and has everything to do with your kernel module causing
> a kernel oops, which is crashing your kernel and thus after
> calling insmod nothing works since your kernel is now completely
> hosed.

I insert a non-existing kernel module ;o)
I doubt the kernel will oops on that...

The same goes for the all other commands which fail on something (e.g.
su to a non-existent user), they crash.

> Tried connecting a serial cable and setting up a serial console?
> I bet you will see the kernel is oopsing when you load whatever
> it is that you are trying to load into kernel space,

Even though I doubt it will give me results,
I'll do this anyway today to find additional information.

Thanks for your time!

Klaas van Gend