[uClibc]Trying to output <stdout,stderr> messages in the serial console

George Thanos gthanos at telecom.ntua.gr
Fri Mar 14 11:24:59 UTC 2003

Hi List,

I am working on a uClinux/uClibc port for Hyperstone's E1 micro-processor.
We currently focus on our first tests regarding applications over our
kernel.

We use a serial port as the standard Linux console (/dev/console, this
is where we see the uClinux boot messages, printk etc) and we use NFS as
the root filesystem located in a remote PC.

We can currently open a file, write some binary info and close it. We
can also open a stream (FILE*) write some formatted text and close the
stream afterwards.

The next big step is print some messages in the serial console. I assume
that when we fprintf in stdout or stderr, our messages should be
redirected to the systems console. Am I write on this? When executing a
regular application in /bin/sh this application should be able to output
formatted messages to the serial port?

Is it necessary to use a shell or any other prior application and
afterwards call our application through the shell, in order to see our
output as expected?

Best Regards,

- George

--

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

George Thanos
Ph.D candidate - Research Associate
National Technical University of Athens
Department of Electrical Engineering