[uClibc]Re: Bonehead floating-point question

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Thu Mar 13 19:19:49 UTC 2003

>> For example, uClibc Configuration asks at one point:
>>
>> Target CPU has a floating point unit (FPU) (HAS_FPU) [Y/n/?] y
>>
>> Why should it care?  As a matter of fact my target CPU does *not* have
>> an FPU, but since I've got emulation it shouldn't matter.  What do I
>> gain/loose by saying "n" here?

Erik> uClibc cares since if you don't have an FPU I need to make
Erik> certain that uClibc is compiled with -msoft-float and that
Erik> all uClibc asm code properly elides fpu opcodes.

But if I have an emulator, it doesn't matter, right?  I could answer
'y' here and the kernel will take care of things?

>> The default buildroot builds gcc "--without-float" ... Why is that
>> needed?

Erik> I do not believe that is correct.

What's not correct, my statement about the default buildroot acts this
way, or the fact that buildroot *should* build gcc "--without-float"?

Thanks,
Dave