[uClibc]Why does mipsel-uclibc-g++ introduce __gxx_personality_v0 symbol?

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Sat Mar 8 03:45:22 UTC 2003

Hi, I'm trying to track down why my modules won't load, and I've
created a test case:

// dave.cpp  --- compile with mipsel-uclibc-g++ -o dave.o -c dave.cpp

extern "C"
{
  unsigned long fred ();
}

void ethel ()
{
    fred ();
}

After compiling this with mipsel-uclibc-g++, I get an object with a
symbol __gxx_personality_v0 in it.  This wouldn't bother me, but I'm
trying to do this in a much larger module, and when I try to insmod
the module, it complains "insmod: unresolved symbol
__gxx_personality_v0" (There are actually a bunch more unresolved
symbols, but I think they are also related to compiling with
mipsel-uclibc-g++).

The thing is, there are no libraries on my root partition that contain
__gxx_personality_v0 !  How can I make sure that when I compile
modules with g++, it creates objects that are completely linked?

When I use my algorithmics toolchain, I don't get this problem.  It's
only with uclibc.

Dave