[uClibc]install_dev installs more than expected

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Sun Jun 15 06:31:09 UTC 2003

On Thu Jun 12, 2003 at 03:18:01AM +0200, Karsten Kruse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to install uclibc under the chrooted binary-toolchain into an
> empty directory. I type ,,make PREFIX=/temp install_target'' and the
> runtime-libs are installed in /temp/lib/ like expected.
>
> Then i type ,,make PREFIX=/temp install_dev''. Since i want to have
> libc.a, include/ and so on under /usr i put this into my .config:
>
>  # Library Installation Options
>  SHARED_LIB_LOADER_PATH="/lib"
>  DEVEL_PREFIX="/usr"
>  SYSTEM_DEVEL_PREFIX="/usr"
>  DEVEL_TOOL_PREFIX="/usr"
>
> Now i have /usr/include/ and /usr/lib/. But in /usr/lib/ are all libs from
> /lib/ again, i think it would be enough to have symlinks pointing to the
> libs in lib. Is there a target in the Makefile i missed or do i have to
> create the links by hand to save that space?

I usually run install_dev and then I manually run

        rm -f $(TARGET_DIR)/usr/lib/*-*.so
        (cd $(TARGET_DIR)/usr/lib; \
                ln -fs /lib/libc.so.0 libc.so; \
                ln -fs /lib/libdl.so.0 libdl.so; \
                ln -fs /lib/libcrypt.so.0 libcrypt.so; \
                ln -fs /lib/libresolv.so.0 libresolv.so; \
                ln -fs /lib/libutil.so.0 libutil.so; \
                ln -fs /lib/libm.so.0 libm.so; \
                ln -fs /lib/libpthread.so.0 libpthread.so; \
                ln -fs /lib/libnsl.so.0 libnsl.so; \
        )

to install everything.  This is since in other contexts, I use
install_dev to install everything to a staging directory with is
later used for building things, installing header files etc, but
that is not installed on the target system.  Perhaps we need an
additional makefile target that adds this sortof thing?
Suggestions and/or patches are welcome.