[uClibc] uClibc Mozilla

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Jul 2 15:57:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:42:54PM -0700, Daniel Pezoa wrote:
> I'am new to Uclibc.
>
> I want to compile mozilla for the use in a Freevix,
> one small linux distribution booteable from network,
> wich is compiled with uClibc.

If you are new to uClibc, then you _might_ want to try something
less ambitious than building mozilla and all the necessary
dependencies.

> i attempt to compile libiconv-1.8
>
> ./configure         // I think it run ok
> make                // It send one error
>
> The last lines of the output are:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/libiconv-1.8/src'
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  iconv_no_i18n.o
> ../lib/libiconv.la
> -o iconv_no_i18n
> gcc iconv_no_i18n.o -o .libs/iconv_no_i18n
> ../lib/.libs/libiconv.so
> -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> iconv_no_i18n.o: In function `main':
> /libiconv-1.8/src/iconv.c:247: the 'setlocale'
> function supports only
> C|POSIX locales
> ../lib/.libs/libiconv.so: undefined reference to
> `_IO_getc'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [iconv_no_i18n] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/libiconv-1.8/src'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> [root at tvmovil libiconv-1.8]#

It looks like somehow you built libiconv using the glibc headers.
The _IO_getc function is invoked by the getc macro in glibc, while
uClibc has an entirely different stdio implementation.

> I appreciate your comments, sugestion, please don't be
> brief in your responses, i'am very new to that uClibc
> world and need to understand it.

Expect to spend a lot of time getting up to speed.  Browse the
mailing list archives at uclibc.org.  Look at Erik's buildroot
stuff (there's a link on the uclibc home page) for examples of
how to build libraries and applications using uClibc.

Manuel