[uClibc]My chances for success

Hartman Darrick ricko73 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 9 01:49:03 UTC 2003

Hi-

I'm new to this list, did a little reading on the
archives but it seems like things are moving along
very quickly so I thought I would save myself some
time and ask the experts.

I'm attempting to develop a distro which will fit on a
CF (128-256MB) for an automotive application.  I'll
require Xfree 4.2.0, xmms, a gtk based program called
GPSdrive ( www.gpsdrive.de ), Mplayer, mysql, kismet
and a few others (phoenix hopefully).

I saw that some of the apps on my list are known to
work.  There will likely be a build machine which will
have the same processor (Cyrix/VIA C3) as my target
(the EPIA-M by VIA).

So far I compile uclibc (latest release 0.9.16, not
the CVS) and built busybox statically linked to
uclibc.  I've read about the 'toolchains' and think
I'll need that on my build system (correct me if I'm
wrong) to make executables for the target system.
I've read a little about the buildroot, but can't find
it anywhere by in the CVS.

My question is what chance for success will this have?
 Is the current version of uclibc stable?  What about
buildroot?  Is there a stable release of buildroot, if
so where might I find it?

Thanks in advance,
Darrick