[uClibc]SD-OS2

Phil Wilshire philwil at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 6 14:01:01 UTC 2003

Hi Roy,
Much as it may be confusing for a newbie to understand the directory
structure
creating a new one may not be a good idea.

You will not be a newbie for long and the understanding you need will
soon be acquired.

Once you get used to the file directory layout you will find many others
that understand it
and most applications that you use will also understand it.

If you create your own ( even though  it looks like a good layout )
you stand the risk of having many problems later. You will also reduce
the maintainablility of any
products you produce.

The current file system layout has many years of history and hidden
reasons for its structure.
We are not just dealing with a small embedded device here we are working
with the whole Unix architecture.

best regards
  Phil Wilshire

"Densin Roy." wrote:

> Dear
> linux using hirachy file structure that non-sense for newbie to
> understand. So I try to make a draft system base on uclibc but change
> all name of directory to understandable structure as follow..
>
> /config = all config file as ordinary /etc
> /sys = everything of system (/usr + /lib + /sbin +/bin)
> /log = log, state, runtime file
> /tmp = just temp
> /proc, /dev same as traditional unix.
>
> -you can try snapshot (7.5Mb) at
>  ftp://linux.in.th/SD-OS2/root
> or
>  http://linux.in.th/pub/SD-OS2/root
> (if U interest building script ,see  .../SD-OS2/src)
>
> please read README for install instruction.
> sorry it not convenion for newbie right now.
> I release for comment at first place.
>   coz It is not usual structure so U can install same partition as
> other linux distribution without conflict! .. no need free partition.!
>
> - any feedback,please feel free to comment before I do so far
> I need suggestion
> 1) /config should change to /cfg ? short name,fast type
> 2) /lost-found change to /lost+found+unresuscitated+scattered+dead ?
> 3) any addition software
> 4) ....
>
> -current software
> dialog
> ncurses
> gpm
> svgalib
> udhcp
> diethotplug=09(not function only binary compile;need config rc)
> iptable
> ppp
> termcap-compat
> util-linux
> busybox
> devfsd
> elvis
> nano
> tinylogin
> zlib
> (it should enough for router project)

SDCS -- System Design & Consulting Services LLC, http://www.sysdcs.com
** Embedded Linux Training **  email me for details
630 Springhouse Sq., Leesburg VA 20175 t: 703 669 9766 f: 703 669 9768