[uClibc]compile XFree86 4.2.1

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 11 01:10:21 UTC 2003

 --- Michael Adams <bulk at michaeladams.org> wrote :
> Compiling X is difficult, since some of the first parts of the build
> bork when simply using the wrappers. The way around, I found, is in your
> host.def, to set the following...

<snip>

I agree, it's easier with the wrapper. But read more carefully what Andreas
wrote...

> Andreas Roth wrote:
> i've installed the uclibc root fs. now i want to build a small X.
<snip>

This is a native toolchain sitting on top of a ext2 filesystem, completely
independent of any pre-installed linux distro with glibc. No wrappers involved.

I reproduced the problem on another system. What we need in root_fs is
a true "ar" from binutils and if possible a true "sed" for other
"configure" scripts to work without complaining about busybox binaries.
I had problem generating makefiles for binutils in root_fs due to "q"
option missing in "sed".

That is, unless busybox "ar" and busybox "sed" are compiled with the
extra run-time options. For example, the "-r" for busybox "grep" is turned
off by default.

I'll anyway try to build root_fs and do the changes I proposed, and confirm
later on if root_fs can natively build TinyX out of the box.
Just got hold of a brand new P4 @2.4GHz to do that quickly... ;)

Rgds,
Christian