[uClibc] Problems building uClibc

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Aug 27 04:07:33 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 04:16:24PM -0700, David Meggy wrote:
> Ok, I have a very weird problem.  I've been having problems with my
> toolchain, so I went back to an old known working toolchain based on
> uclibc 0.9.16, and it doesn't work either.  However it does work on my
> co-workers computer!!!
>
> So I compiled busybox and uClibc with debugging symbols, and looked at
> the difference in assembly output.
>
> The following functions from libc/misc/locale/locale.c showed up
> different when compiled under different computers.
>
> _locale_init
> _locale_set
>
> My build computer is set to en_CA, while my co-worker has his build
> computer set to just C.
>
> Is this a known problem?  Is it fixed in newer versions?  If it is, why
> am I still having problems?  (I guess the last question is unfair)
>

> I'm going to do some more testing of this tomorrow, but I thought I
> would ask to see if anyone else knew anything about this.

Well, other than "it doesn't work", you haven't given me that much to
go on.  More details would be helpful.  Also, I'm generally monitor
#uclibc on irc, and will be doing so tomorrow (CST).  An interactive
q&a session might be more productive.

Also, be aware that a fair amount of standard locale functionality
was missing in 0.9.16.  With the checkin a couple of weeks ago, just
about all C99 functionality is supported.  Currently wcsftime() is
still missing.  Also, the ctype functions are broken for 8-bit codeset
locales at the moment but should be fixed tomorrow.

Manuel