[uClibc] REMINDER: The 'setlocale' function supports only C|POSIX locales

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Aug 20 22:45:17 UTC 2003

David,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:52:59PM -0700, David Wuertele wrote:
> It seems like every time I link a c++ program, I get the following:
>
>    buildroot/build_mipsel/staging_dir/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/3.3/../../../../mipsel-linux/lib/libstdc++.so: REMINDER: The 'setlocale' function supports only C|POSIX locales.
>
> Why does it print this?

Sigh... as google would have told you, it is a _REMINDER_ that your
program links in the setlocale function but uClibc was configured
with stub locale support and only handles the C (POSIX) locale.

> Is this a warning I need to worry about?

That depends on whether or not you were expecting full locale support.

> What can I do to make this go away?

I suppose you could pay me some outrageous amount of money to simply
remove or comment out the appropriate link_warning() line in locale.c.
Given that you didn't even try looking this up, I suppose you might
want to go that route.  (I mean really... I just checked and the first
item returned would have answered your question.)

Or, you could simply disable it yourself in your local copy.  In fact,
you could disable all link_warning()s in uClibc if you wanted to by
simply modifying features.h.

Manuel