[uClibc] uClibc support in libstdc++

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Sat Aug 9 06:24:45 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 02:07:10AM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've started cleaning up my patch collection to merge full
> support for ColdFire, uClinux and uClibc into mainline GCC.
>
> To make my work acceptable, I must get rid of this ugly hack
> stolen from uClibc's toolchain Makefile:
>
>   cd ${GCC}/libstdc++-v3/config/os/generic
>   cp ctype_base.h ctype_inline.h ctype_noninline.h ../gnu-linux/
>

> A comment from there said that full libstdc++ locale support
> was going to be completed shortly. Is this still true?

Well, all the extended and thread-specific locale stuff should now
be in place.  That was part of my big commit on Aug 1.  There is a patch
I know I need to make to libstd++ because the ctype table member sizes
are different.  Also, I don't yet support the wide string versions of
the various LC_TIME items.  I hadn't decided whether I would do so,
or simply patch the libstd++ code to alloc and generate the wide string
versions at object construction time.  I will probably take the latter
approach... at least for now.  The former will likely be an option
after I rewrite the locale data generation tools.

Unless some unforseen problem shows up, it shouldn't take too long
to do the work.  But I just got back from a trip during which my laptop
died.  So I need to get another system up and running and retrieve some
data on my laptop harddrive before I can start working again.  On top of
this, I have family visiting from out of town this week, and I am
currently not being funded for uClibc work.

I certainly expect to have the libstd++ locale stuff working by the end
of the month.  I think it will likly be much sooner.  But I can't really
be more specific at the moment.  Sorry.

Manuel