[uClibc]Problem with zlib on xfree86

Barry Kauler bkauler at goosee.com
Sat Apr 12 23:02:29 UTC 2003

Hi guys,
So far, I have successfully compiled uClibc from source, then zlib,
busybox, tinylogin, and tcc.
There were mysterious error messages, but by filddling around managed
to fix them.

I'm now stuck on xfree86. I'm using the tiny-x kdrive version, and it mostly
compiles, except for the actual server. xfree has its own zlib, and I cannot
get it to used the zlib that I had previously compiled with uclibc.
I've put it in the right place, with the other uclibc library files.

Is anyone familiar with the config files of xfree and can advise me where to
go and tell it to use the existing zlib?  The file "linux.cf" has "#define HasZlib YES"
but it makes no difference if I set that to NO. There is another label, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
that I thought maybe has to be set, but I searched everywhere and cannot see where
that is specified.

The last resort, there is an option for turning off font compression, so it won't even
need the zlib.

Another thought -- is it possible to let xfree use its own zlib, then later on take it out,
the binaries that is, and substitute symlinks to my zlib?

Any thoughts on this welcome.

Note, I'm not on the maillist, but will read the archive, which gets updated every couple
of days it seems.

Regards,
Barry Kauler
www.goosee.com